Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band


I love Netflix. I hate their pop-up ads on websites, but they run a great service.
Last night I watched Sixties Rock "instantly". It was like watching the tv in the sixties. All the performances were clips from appearances on Hullabaloo, Shindig and Hollywood A Go Go. It was really fun.

But that's not what this post is about. The Netflix CD I watched this weekend was Shine A Light. As I watched I was reminded why this band is known as THE WORLD'S GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND. Martin Scorsese successfully captured the Rolling Stones' energy and mastery. I've seen plenty of "Rockumentaries" and concert films, but, with arguably the world's greatest director and THE WORLD'S GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND, you know you're going to be witnessing a masterpiece.

The Stones have experimented with the avante garde and psychedelia, they've penned some epic jewels and have had hits with good time pop, but they've never strayed far from their Blues roots, which distinguished them from the rest of their colleagues in the British Invasion . Throughout this movie, you're treated to straight up rock and roll served by the undisputed masters of the genre.

A particularly moving moment came after Buddy Guy joined the band to play the Muddy Waters' tune 'Champagne & Reefer'. The "always cool Richards was so taken by the magical moment", he gave Guy one of his favorite guitars. Keith said, "It's one of my favorites, too. That was straight off the top of my head: 'It's yours, baby.' With everything going on that night, with this movie, I thought, 'This is my respect to Buddy and to Muddy and all the other guys who turned me on.'"

Another memorable moment came when Ron Wood played the steel pedal guitar for 'Faraway Eyes'. And there I was sans beer. Jack White of White Stripes joined Jagger for another country tune, 'Loving Cup'. Christina Aguilera danced and sang with Mick during 'Live With Me'. That was one steaming hot number!

I knew when I saw the trailor I was going to love this movie! If you kids want to learn what rock and roll is, you watch this dvd!

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment