Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Earworm - Girl From Ipanema

You know what an earworm is, right? It's a song that gets stuck in your head and you can't get it out. The most notorious example is probably Disneyland's "It's A Small World". (Did I infect you? it's a world of laughter, a world or tears. its a world of hopes, its a world of fear. theres so much that we share that its time we're aware its a small world after all. Ain't I evil?)

So my pal Crazy Mad Molly at VideoRanch 3D made a remark a few days ago about listening to The Girl From Ipanema. I couldn't place the song so I did a small amount of research and had my memory refreshed on that catchy jazz tune. It was popular during the 60s although I can't recall exactly where I first heard it, but only that is was incredibly familiar. Then last Thursday on the way to work, my local jazz station, the world famous KSDS 88.3 FM played it again, this week's featured artist being Stan Getz. I love that breathy sax as well as the coy, "honey-toned" vocals of Astrud Gilbert. I became infected. At least this earworm has some genuine musical value, unlike the aforementioned "It's A Small World" (just trying to get it good and stuck.)

Here's a video clip from "Get Yourself A College Girl".


No comments:

Post a Comment