Saturday, February 7, 2009

And now... Thao!

So by now you folks are saying, "'Doon, do you have some sort of Vietnam fetish?". Well I suppose that just depends of what the meaning of "is" is. I admit I'm Ga-Ga over Ngoc Ha. Yes it's true I wrote a review about Donna Du. And now... Thao.

Let me just start by saying that the previous two artists I became aware of because it's fun to go with my girlfriend to Vietnamese concerts and festivals and shopping and such. I learned about Thao Nguyen and the Get Down Stay Down, however, from Michael Nesmith's Video Ranch 3D(Look for an upcoming post about VR3D!) I was able to see her perform there live. I saw her in person a few weeks later at the Casbah in San Diego.

There's nary a soul who has been in a conversation of more than two minutes with me who hasn't heard of Thao. I just can't curb my enthusiasm. Thao has a unique and original sound. The music she draws from her guitars is amazing. And "as sharp as she sings", it is soothing! Her melodies are deceptively delightful, particularly considering some of the subjects she tackles. Most of all though, it's her clever turns of phrase which have me so fascinated.

"There's a hole in your head, spill your thoughts on the floor"...

"Shake the frame of this house, distress the wood, make it shout!" I mean, I'll bet that's the first time the word 'distress' has been used in Rock. Moreover it's the engineering application of the word, not the more common emotional connotation.

"You've got to push all the doubt to the side of your mouth"...

"I reached high, as I high as I was able. Such a small small kid at the big kids table"

"And it is not as though I do not know it hurts me. Its just I drink only that which makes me thirsty"

Wow. Pretty clever indeed!

Thao uses a toothbrush to strike the strings of her guitar on the song Moped. After I saw her perform in VR3D, and before I attended her show here in SD, I watched an interview at WNRN radio on youtube. She made a joke suggesting that audience members might bring toothbrushes to the show, thereby ensuring a steady supply.

I did bring a toothbrush. She didn't remember saying it.

Now what do you suppose a performer might think of a fan who gives her a gift of a toothbrush? Yeah.

WELL I HAVE PROOF SHE ASKED, even if she doesn't remember. Please follow above link.

I was browsing Thao's KRS catalog, and saw the

Thao T-shirt (with the bees on it).

I liked it, but well, it's kind of a girl's shirt. There's a lady here at work named Thao so I bought it and gave it to her. Anyway, there's never any stuff with Thao on it like little bicycle license plates or key chains as there are for common (anglo) names like Susan or Mike. So she was happy and it went towards supporting Thao and her work (I hope). I like KRS too.

The Get Down Stay Down, which is Adam and Willis, really add a richness to Thao's songs. I guess Willis will be singing on the next record, due out this fall!



No comments:

Post a Comment